I have a client that started using Google Apps but had a huge history of emails in the Mail app on OS X which they wanted to have imported into GMail. While the Outlook mailboxes worked without a problem using the program provided by Google, for Mac this doesn’t seem to be maintained any more. The information on the web on this subject is also rather scarce so this is how I did it using some scripting, Dovecot and imapsync.
I started testing Enlightenment E19 a while back and while I like the lightweight environment, there are still some areas that could use a little TLC / better documentation. One of those is the system tray. I’m not going to elaborate on the technical and/or political details of why but it suffices to say that the Linux world is moving away from the old XEmbed standard towards libappindicator.
Here are some of the symptoms I was seeing:
- Missing tray icons
- Empty spaces where the icons are expected
- Icons that were stretched across other icons
Granted, some of this is probably because of my choice of Gentoo as distribution but still this seems to be a dark area. There is a lot of wrong information to be found on Google and after a while you start feeling you went down the rabbit hole to never come out the other end. This information is probably also not restricted to Enlightenment but that’s just the environment I was working in.
First you need to unmask some packages:
Next install the necessary packages:
emerge dev-libs/libappindicator dev-libs/libappindicator:2 dev-libs/sni-qt -av
Now you should have everything to make roughly 95% of all the Qt4, Qt5, GTK+2 and GTK+3 applications out there work.
The only thing that is left (if you are using E19) now is to disable XEmbed. First close all the applications that possibly are in the system tray, then right click it and select Settings where you can disable it. After that restart applications and (hopefully) marvel at the icon goodness.
There is an issue in the current stable release (0.19.8) of E19 where for example the Spotify icon is not shown because the system can’t find it. Instead you see a warning triangle with an exclamation mark. The issue is reported and will probably be fixed in the next release.
My overlay containing a patched ebuild:
I was having issues with the volume keys on my Linux desktop when using applications like Spotify and Kodi. I found out that this is because the channel that is created by PulseAudio by default is linked to the master channel resulting in all kind of weirdness when adjusting the volume. This can be fixed by disabling the flat-volumes option in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
flat-volumes = no
I was playing around a bit with cryptocoins but was missing quite some ebuilds. As most of them don’t diverge to far from the reference Bitcoin client it is however quite easy to set them up. Usually copying the ebuild is enough, sometimes some more adaptations are needed.
To make it easier for anyone I created an overlay on GitHub so you don’t have to redo my work:
I’m not going to describe how to add the overlay to your portage, there are guides enough for that. Don’t forget to unmask the packages.
At the moment there are ebuilds for following currencies:
If while you are testing out your shiny new client you want to donate to me for some basic copy/paste and editing work you can do so at:
Or you can just Flattr this post!
I have had a Raspberry Pi lying around for ages now and finally found some time to play with it. After quite some research I decided to first set up a basic system that I can easily use to start from when I think of a new usage for a Pi. Since I like keeping “full control” over everything I do it would mean setting everything up from scratch without relying too much on existing pre-built images. The only image I tried was (the excellent) Raspbmc to verify quickly that XBMC would run smooth enough to pass the WAT (Wife Acceptancy Test).
The system I had in mind when starting should provide the following:
- Remote boot using NFS as root fs (thus enabling the usage of cheap, small SD cards)
- Easily create a full SD card when stand-alone device is required
- Gentoo based (yes, I do love that distro for its simplicity)
- Distcc enabled for faster compilations (I don’t love Gentoo enough to let a Raspberry compile everything on its own)
Have a look here if you have problems with slow network boot because the firmware is not available.
Whenever I used mc or another ncurses-based program on my Gentoo the output would show strange characters instead of the proper line drawing. Also, the numbers on the numpad didn’t work inside for example nano. The fix is in your default putty settings:
- Window → Translation → Received data assumed to be in which character set: UTF-8
- Window → Translation → Handling of line drawing characters: Use Unicode line drawing code points
- Connection → Data → Terminal-type string: putty
I got this solution from here.
Since the fan and power button of my old Dell laptop were dead I did what every geek would do: I got my hands on an identical laptop so I could switch over the hard drive and I wouldn’t need to reinstall (well, not Linux anyway). After booting I noticed that two things were not working properly: the X server and my network connection.
Continue reading 'Udev woes'»
During one of my update sessions I noticed that all of a sudden the kdeprefix use flag that I have been using happily before is masked. After reading a bit about the reasoning behind this I think this is not a bad idea but I dislike the fact that I would have to rebuild all the KDE packages (4.2.4) that are currently already built with the kdeprefix flag, especially since KDE 4.3 is lurking around the corner. So I unmasked the kdeprefix flag until 4.3 is available in portage:
echo "-kdeprefix" >> /etc/portage/profile/use.mask